So, I DID get back from my camping trip where teachers were successfully trained and Scripture bits were successfully checked. A lot has happened since then, but other social media tools have taken over! Twitter, Instagram, facebook... all allow me to communicate with the masses... um, well, without having to think too much. So. That's what I've been doing. Sorry 'bout that for those of you who don't use other modes of communications. But really, I am alive and kicking.
At the moment, I'm sitting in the office checking a book called "Healing the Wounds of Trauma". They have spent the last, oh, I don't know, maybe 10 years translating this book into their language. And we finally want to get this book off their computer so it can actually be used by people and the Church. But wow. Going through this book word by word, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph... it's a tough one. And when the ideas in the book are so anathema to certain aspects of their culture. The book puts a lot of emphasis on healing through talking about one's feelings ... but this particular culture simply doesn't have a way to talk about "feelings". We went through a whole chapter on HIV/AIDs, trying to discuss the technicalities of AIDS/HIV and it's transmission. That was quite a challenge, let me tell ya.
Now at least we have finished that chapter and have moved on to some less awkward topics. But phew, it's still hard work. Taxes my brain... but then there is also a lot of down time where the team spends time fixing the spelling and discussing about how to express certain ideas in their language. So I sit and do other things while they do that. Normally, I've been doing things like formatting Primers, or catching up on emails... but it's Friday afternoon and my brain doesn't need more taxing in between paragraphs!
This has been a lovely week, though. Wednesday was a holiday here, and it was raining! So I didn't feel like I had to be productive. One of the nice things about this place is that when it rains, everything stops. So I wanted to stop, too :) My neighbours and I had a Gilmore Girls marathon, projecting dear Rory and Lorelei up on the wall. We are only in Season 1, so no spoilers, please! But really, are Luke and Lorelei ever going to get together?!
Anyway, I will make a renewed effort to do a wee bit of blogging, in case anyone is interested. That is, if I can pull myself and my neighbours away from Gilmore Girls! Good thing we have all 7 seasons of it on the compound :)
At the moment, I'm sitting in the office checking a book called "Healing the Wounds of Trauma". They have spent the last, oh, I don't know, maybe 10 years translating this book into their language. And we finally want to get this book off their computer so it can actually be used by people and the Church. But wow. Going through this book word by word, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph... it's a tough one. And when the ideas in the book are so anathema to certain aspects of their culture. The book puts a lot of emphasis on healing through talking about one's feelings ... but this particular culture simply doesn't have a way to talk about "feelings". We went through a whole chapter on HIV/AIDs, trying to discuss the technicalities of AIDS/HIV and it's transmission. That was quite a challenge, let me tell ya.
Now at least we have finished that chapter and have moved on to some less awkward topics. But phew, it's still hard work. Taxes my brain... but then there is also a lot of down time where the team spends time fixing the spelling and discussing about how to express certain ideas in their language. So I sit and do other things while they do that. Normally, I've been doing things like formatting Primers, or catching up on emails... but it's Friday afternoon and my brain doesn't need more taxing in between paragraphs!
This has been a lovely week, though. Wednesday was a holiday here, and it was raining! So I didn't feel like I had to be productive. One of the nice things about this place is that when it rains, everything stops. So I wanted to stop, too :) My neighbours and I had a Gilmore Girls marathon, projecting dear Rory and Lorelei up on the wall. We are only in Season 1, so no spoilers, please! But really, are Luke and Lorelei ever going to get together?!
Anyway, I will make a renewed effort to do a wee bit of blogging, in case anyone is interested. That is, if I can pull myself and my neighbours away from Gilmore Girls! Good thing we have all 7 seasons of it on the compound :)
2 comments:
wow. hope you had some wonderful brain down time this weekend!!
P.S. I still love the blog :)
Post a Comment