I had quite a relaxing Sunday today - did some tidying up around here, since everyone (well, almost everyone - our American friend got left behind here in Juba! Really, he didn't make it onto the flight!) had left on Saturday morning back to their respective places.
So today Jackie and I completed cleaning up the tent, I also tidied up a bit around the house and washed some clothes which really needed some washing. I'm so thankful for the washing machine here in the guesthouse... though once we move to our own house, we're back to handwashing, I think... unless we can persuade someone to let us use the machine now and again :) Oh wait, me and Jackie ARE the guesthouse managers, so that shouldn't be a problem...
This afternoon, after our fellowship meeting, we were set to have a potluck dinner, since Ian is back with us for a week. What an incredible testimony that man is to the faitfulness of God. He said a few words this evening in the group, and man, I was getting a little choked up. Seeing Ian here without Pam really makes it real that Pam's gone - but he told a story about her last days, and it was so clear that Christ was really the core of who she was. She didn't really understand or know anything else - not even her family - but she did speak of Christ, and of her desire to see the other women in the hospital also know him. What an amazing testimony, eh? I pray that Christ can be such a core to me that if I know nothing else, He will be so true to me that I will know him.
Anyways, that's not one of the strange happenings, just a musing that's going on in the back of my head this evening.
Jsut as we were getting thigns set up for the potluck, which I was running late for anyways, a big truck rolled in with MORE stuff from Uganda. No one told us about this truck that was coming.... it just showed up! And it showed up at the same time that everyone else was showing up for the potluck and at the same time that I was trying to finish my salad, set the tables, and clean myself up to host a party!
Anyways, we ended up getting the truck mess sorted out. Then after our little service, one of our guests who was supposed to show up last night showed up just as I was getting the food out of the refridgerator for the potluck. So I showed him to his room.
Then the next strange thing that happened is that Chris came over to see if I wanted to play games, and I was just checking facebook to see if there was any action... and I saw that his wife had arrived in her destination and was waiting for my friends in that place to show up and take her out! It's just so weird to look on facebook and have immediate news from that country, and then knowing that she's with my friends this evening. Sigh... really, it makes me quite homesick for them. But it's strange how God works all these things out.
And now, the strangest thing of all. During our game of Settlers, the electricity went off in 2 of the houses on the compound (guesthouse included), but not the third. So we turned on the generator - not much you can do to suss the problem in the dark. But then, when the generator was turned off tonight, there is enough power coming through the system to charge my computer, and to run our internet server, which runs off electricity. But not enough to run any of the lights or fans... hmmmm... I guess in the midst of getting our friend off to the airport, sorting out the stuff from the truck, planning my bilingual education curriculum and figuring out how to pack and what to pack and what to do in Nairobi once I get there... it's going to be a busy week! I hope we don't have too many more strange surprises this week.
Of course, tonight it's hot and sticky - not cool and rainy like it has been. So without the fans tonight, I'm a little on the sweaty side. Yech.
No comments:
Post a Comment