Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Errands

I never thought a few errands could take so long! This afternoon, Jacks and I fled the compound again to do some errands. Three and a half hours later, we were home! We went to the bank, to the travel agent, to buy a new gas canister, and to see if we could find some Coke. On the way back, we saw that the diesel tanker was standing outside one of the gas stations, so we stood in line and got ourselves half a tank of diesel in the truck! That's quite an achievement these days, since the diesel is hard to come by.

But it is encouraging to drive around town once in a while. You see how some roads are improving, how there are new things available and infrastructures are coming along.

Plus, I always feel a bit like Dora the Explorer, bouncing around the muddy roads in my truck! I'm slowly learning what the best way to get over the big lumps in the road are, and I'm not so timid anymore to just power through certain mud puddles, praying that we won't get hung up on anything in the middle! I never imagined that I'd be 4-wheel-driving in the middle of my city! Even though it does take a lot of concentration, and I come home rather exhausted and sweaty, it is quite a lot of fun! Driving back home isn't going to be very exciting now that I'm used to this!!

No comments: