Monday, December 18, 2006

Brrr.... Part 3

I think being cold is just going to be a fact of life for the next few weeks! This morning, I sat in church with my mittens on, and wearing more layers than I have in months! Feels kinda like I'm the Michelin Man with so many thick clothes on. Even though I've grown up in this climate, it's a bit more of a shock to my system this time it seems.

It was good to be back in church this morning, though. I always go back to church on my first Sunday home with a bit of fear and trembling - while I love seeing everyone and being back "home" and enjoying a good service, there's always something that makes me a little nervous about seeing so many people again after such a long time away! And I never quite know what to say when people ask me, "How was your trip?". I mean, do they really want to hear all about the challenges and joys of living overseas, or do they just want to hear, "Fine!". And the noisy, busy foyer of the church is never the ideal place to chat with people, even if they do want to hear more than just "Fine!"

Anyways, it turned out to be a very nice service - Pastor Mike had a great sermon that really caused me to think about Advent - getting ready for a Big Christmas. Not just filled with all the hoopla, but really filled with Christ. So I want to spend some time being quiet this week, just hibernating and thinking about the words of Malachi 3.
I was also reminded of the last Sunday that I was in Juba. We went to the ECS Cathedral for the English service there. It was a communion Sunday, and as people were streaming up to take their communion, the song that was being sung by the choir had words that said something to the effect of "here is the Glory of God". And as I was watching people walk by me on their way to the alter, I was really filled with a real sense of the presence and glory of God in them. For the first time, I was starting to fall in love with the Sudanese people as people who can and do reflect the glory of God. And that was a really cool experience. I can't work in a place where I don't love the people, and I was seeing how God was giving me more love for the Sudanese people.

1 comment:

laurachristel said...

I hope you have lots of time for hibernating and meditating and balancing on the inside!

Boy, do I know what you mean about the shock of the cold - and I didn't even know what it would be like, not having ever been in it! - like when we went to Michigan straight from Cambodia/Philippines!! I was very close friends with warm blankets and the fireplace that winter. Since I had both easily available, I didn't really mind the shock. I hope you have both available too!!